Adaptive Learning Paths

Userlevel 2

We’ve set up a “choose your topics” learning path where the learner first goes through an introduction to the topic, then they choose which areas they need/want to learn more about. The Learning Path then assigns the next topics based on what they’ve selected. The learner can choose one, two, or all three topics. This was my first attempt so I kept it simple. In the future I’d love to build out learning paths that assign content based on a learner’s experience, answers to a pre-test, or different levels of difficulty. Is anyone else using Adaptive Learning Paths and if so, what are the scenarios?

7 replies

This learning path seems like a super cool concept! How did you set up the if this then that concept that assigns the learners the next topics once they complete the introduction content?

Userlevel 2

Hi @Tiffany.SS 

First I created the courses/content that would be part of the learning path.

Second I set up a Competency Assessment (Communications > Competency Assessments) with a single, select boxes question and for each “answer” I selected the corresponding content created in step 1.

Competency Assessment
​​​

I set the assessment as graded Yes, but without a minimum passing score.

Third I created the Learning Path.

• The first milestone is the course that introduces the topic. It is required by all learners.
  • The second milestone “Choose Your Topics” is the dynamic competency assessment. It “assigns” the courses based on the check boxes the learner selects.
  • NOTE: The assigned courses do not need to be taken in order nor is the completion of one contingent upon another.
Dynamic Milestone Leveraging a Competency Assessment

That’s it! We’ve tested it and if a learner goes in an “retakes” the assessment (ie: chooses different topics from the checkboxes) and refreshes their browser, the courses that appear in the learning path change.

Here is the completed Learning Path that provides the learners with an Introduction and then up to three courses:

Completed Learning Path

Hopefully I accurately recreated the steps I took! I’m really looking forward to leveraging this same concept with more complex topics and am glad that the initial one I tried was relatively simple.

Has anyone figured out how to configure an Adaptive Learning Path based on the grade achieved in an assessment test ?  We thought ALPs would work this way but can’t see any way to set this up.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@RKBrodeur To truly turn this into a comp assessment as you mention, I would just frame the questions like this.  “What is 2+2?”  Answer choices would all relate to the same content that teaches basic math if incorrect and the correct answer would offer no content (multi choice single select) because you have nothing new to learn.

@JQuinn The score is either for future development or it just works no different than a regular Quiz, which case I would just use a Quiz.  I wish I had more to share on that.

Userlevel 2

Hi @JQuinn  - Are you looking to set up an ALP so if the learner scores say 0%-30% they get Path A, 31% - 60% they get Path B, etc. and maybe if they get 95% they don’t need to take anything and they are “certified?” For us that would be a use case to have the grade push them down a certain path, and I’m also interested in how that’s accomplished.

I haven’t played around with the ALP since my original post a year ago. Maybe it’s time to dust it off again!

Hi @RKBrodeur. Thanks for the reply.  The use case we are trying to implement is to give the learner an assessment test to prove existing knowledge on a product.  We want to ask them 10 questions and, if they get them all correct, they move to a shorter learning path.  If they cannot answer those 10 questions correctly they are  pushed to a learning path that contains additional courses. The idea is that learners with pre-exisitng product knowledge can have a shorter route to complete the product certification learning path. We have found that we can set an assessment test as the first milestone in the ALP, and grade that test, but there seems to be no way to use the grade achieved to direct the learning path.  I noticed there is an existing feature request, from a while back, in community for this functionality (See it here) so I have up voted it!  Please share if you have any ideas on this.

Hi @charles.zimmerman thanks for your comments as well.  Looks like we may have to push this feature request up the priority pile!

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the link for the feature request! I upvoted it and will spread the word.