Solved

Archiving Courses

• 23 September 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

We are updating our product and have all new courses coming out. We had a learning path for users to complete previously and I want them to still get credit for completing those. We are launching a new Learning Path and removing access to the other for new users and I don’t really want our current users to see those courses, but I do still want them to get credit for completing them since they are in essence the same content (just with the updates in the new versions.)

So, if I archive those original courses/learning paths, will users still show in the data or on their transcripts that they completed those items? And will we be able to pull reports to show their work?

I can’t seem to find this answer in any documentation about archiving. 

icon

Best answer by Philcahill87 15 March 2023, 20:26

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi @LisaRollins  - we have the same question and I couldn’t find the “impact of archiving” in help either. 

As content becomes outdated and we archive it, what is the impact on the Learner’s Dashboard?

I’m also curious what happens to the statistics and reporting data for the archived content. 

I agree - greater clarity on the impact of archiving would be really helpful.

@kristine.kukich could this be an Office Hours session in the near future please?

Userlevel 2

I did submit a support ticket asking for clarification. I will post an update here with the response.

@Caroline Northam, @LisaRollins and @RKBrodeur  - I’ll bring it to the team and we’ll figure out how to present it. Thanks for the idea!

Userlevel 2

Hello Lisa, 

if I archive those original courses/learning paths, will users still show in the data?
Yes, Users will still be in the data and the course will have a (archived) beside its name. All reports will still have the data in them as the actions such as completion did happen.

or on their transcripts that they completed those items?
Items will still be available in the Transcript too for learner to see completions. 

Ruth’s follow up question:
As content becomes outdated and we archive it, what is the impact on the Learner’s Dashboard?
The content will move to a Archived section of the activity widget.

All 3 off you did suggest information to be added so I will update the article in the upcoming days: https://support.thoughtindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045730114-Archiving-and-Deleting-Content

Userlevel 2

Hello -

As we clean up from 2023 and gear up for 2024, we tested archiving both events and content pieces. Neither showed up in the learner’s activity widget under an Archived tab. We DID find the (archived) pieces in the learner transcript.

Before we move forward with archiving content, we want to verify that courses/content/events WILL show up on the learner’s dashboard widget. It would also be great if they could get into the content and view it (even if it’s read-only). 

Bubbling this back up in the Community and re-upping our vote for an Office Hours session on archiving and deleting best practices.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@RKBrodeur @Philcahill87 The archive tab on the activity widget is only there to show a learner action whereby the learner selects to “archive” content that has been previously in My Learning.  Otherwise if an Admin archives the content, it will simply disappear from user view in My Learning.  If completed by the learner then it will be on the transcript but it will say (Archived) as a suffix.  Here is the user action that moves content to an Archive tab. In translations, we are changing user “Archive” to “Remove” @LisaRollins @Irene @Caroline Northam 

Userlevel 2

Thanks for clarifying, @charles.zimmerman! Sounds like the learner has acknowledgment that they took the content via their transcript, but no way to access the details of what they learned. And they no longer see it on their My Learning Dashboard widget.

Good to know