SCORM Connect Errors & Fixes

• 26 January 2024
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

We are having some issues with SCORM Connect with a few of our customers. We are not alone in having some issues and would love to hear from other users who may be experiencing this issue or have found a fix for it. 

One of the issues is that the SCORM zip file has a .swf included and the customer LMS blocks any .swf uploads. 

The other issue is that customers are having trouble with the file sending the completion data to their LMS. It loads and they can use it, but if they leave the course mid-way or complete it, it either marks it as failed, or doesn’t send back any data. 

It appears that there is some information not being included in the SCORM Connect file. Just wanted to see if anyone else was having issues and interested in exploring some solutions with us. 

16 replies

Userlevel 2

We also have had issues with SCORM Connect not sending the correct completed/passed status back to the external LMS. The course will play fine, just not report back correctly. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

@andrew.theisen Were you able to find a fix for it? Or have to go to plan b for the customer? 

@Nora Celonis 

Userlevel 2

No fix has been identified. During September and October 2023, I spent 100+ hours working on this, diving into logs on both the TI side and the external LMS, along with repeated back and forth with our then onboarding SME. Ultimately, we resorted to just hosting the course on our SCORM Cloud realm.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Do you remember which LMS it wouldn’t work with, or were there multiple ones? 

Was there someone at TI who you worked with to try to figure it out?

SCORM Connect is a premium feature and we need it to work properly.
When it does work properly, it is great, but it is frustrating when it doesn’t. 

Userlevel 2

Docebo. We also had issues with SCORM Connect when we hosted the package in SCORM Cloud.

Badge

We have also spent dozens of hours in testing with different LMSs and we always come accross the completion issue. We found several problems with completion in Success Factors and no solution has been found, no matter what Scorm version it is, 2004 or 1.2. Our most recent finiding is that sometimes filling out the email address in TI’s user profile helps in the completion status transfer. But in most settings the email address is not sent from the third-party LMS to TI, so that’s still another big problem.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Does anyone have a point of contact for TI to investigate this further as a group rather than each of us reporting similar issues with no fix? 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Count us in on having these issues - but it seems we are so far behind many of you with being able to troubleshoot it as I don’t have the expertise to dig into the SCORM zip file files and have any idea what I’m looking at. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Thought Industries I’ll be raising this with my CSM as well, but wondered who on your team is the point of contact for SCORM Connect? 

Badge

@cvillamil and I raised the whole topic with our CSM today and gave a hollistic overview of the issues. We also mentioned this channel and showed that more customers are struggling. We’ll keep you posted on the progress.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

At all.  Have you tried NOT embedding your SCORM into the course?  We had many issues with that setting.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@charles.zimmerman We are talking about SCORM Connect and sending our content vis SCORM to customers to load in their LMS. Do you mean telling customers to not embed our SCORM files into their LMS courses? 

Are you experiencing issues with SCORM Connect too?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@LisaRollins  Sorry.  I misunderstood but right.  SCORM likes to pop out into it’s own window.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@charles.zimmerman The errors we are seeing are more related to marking completion or actions once loaded. I haven’t had any customers say they couldn’t embed. Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@LisaRollins  I understand. I am saying that embedding SCORM changes many things one of which is reporting back completion.  It does not like being in a shell of another content item.  It’s an option to do so outside in Ti scorm pages and content type and I don’t suggest ever embedding if you want it to open, play, and report.

@LisaRollins  @cvillamil @Nora Celonis - SCROM Connect is literally the third rail. We’ve been able to deliver to fewer and fewer clients due to updated cybersecurity protocols. When it works, the reporting seemed on point. One of the issues we struggle with the most is resetting content. Our go-to was to resend an annual SCORM package, which the client puts on their LMS in place of the old one. However, now we have clients that can’t access third party sites like Onedrive for the transfer and are reluctant to permit us access to their internal drives so we can place the content there. We also see what you’re seeing- their LMS won’t load our content because the SCORM package is a shell. Resetting progress through recertification won’t work. TI support has been unable to recommend a different workaround although they are still investigating. We’re left with leaving the sublicense with no expiration and asking the client to have learners manually go back to the beginning. Not awesome. Anyone else have any suggestions?