Best Practices for Live Presentation

• 5 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello all! Our team is currently exploring how we want to integrate the live presentation segment of our courses into Ti learning path experiences. We are currently looking at creating slides in Adobe Captivate/PowerPoint, which instructors would then share on-screen during an ILT/VILT session.

What are the best tools and practices you would suggest for integrating live class presentations into Ti learning path experiences?

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

I don’t know that there’s “one best,” i think a lot depends on what you have on your slides and how you’re presenting them.

In courses/microcourses you can add ppt slides in presentation pages and it’ll allow you to click through them. Animations will not come through this and depending on how many slides, it might be a little overwhelming to your learners. 

If you’re doing a captivate, would you export to scorm file? you could do a stand alone piece of content or a scorm page here. There are some limitations to how they present on screen, but you’ll have all your animations this way. 

If your slides are there for the sole purpose of the trainer, perhaps look to the admin library feature or housing them somewhere outside of TI. If it doesn’t enhance the learner experience on TI and are used during a live session only, it might not need to be there as course material.

Thanks, Alexis!

Our slides are an integral part of the learner’s in-class experience, so we won’t be getting rid of them or turning them into admin library resources. Also, the course/microcourse slide and presentation pages won’t work for our case because we need the presentation to show in full screen, and include speaker notes for the trainers to use.

My team is interested in using SCORM/xAPI/LTI page types for Captivate. What kind of screen presentation limitations would we run into, there?

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’ve done a few SCORM content types out of articulate storyline. When using a SCORM page in a course, you’ll have 2 options: play within the page or have it pop out into a new window. Playing in the page, you’re limited in size and it plays within the size of that page. If you open in a new window, it’ll pop open a smaller sized browser. It will not open to the size of your content, so the learner will need to re-size that box. From there, it will play in the size that you created it in. 

I found that I wanted the files to open and size like a video typically does, but that has more to do with how you set it up in your authoring software. I would recommend that you create a SCORM file that’s super simple just to figure out how the sizing impacts the player and adjust based on the experience and what you see from the learner view. I highlighly recommend using the CAM for this as you’ll end up replacing it a few times as you’re figuring out the best configuration. 

Sounds good. Thanks so much for the details and the help!