Skip to main content
Question

Feedback on upcoming Redesigned Content Creation Flow

This morning we reviewed the upcoming redesign of the content creation flow by enabling the Preview toggle that has been made available.  We have a number of concerns with this new feature and would like to understand if this will be optional or if all users will be forced to accept this change?

Concerns

• Custom Content Types are not included in the new wizard.  This means that it adds both confusion and extra clicks each time we need to create a new content item (i.e. navigating to the Design Tab > catalog and change content type to a custom type).
  • The UI is jarring and confusing - the screen background turns blue and all the navigation menu disappears. It feels like you are redirected to an external app
  • We would like to understand what the value proposition is for this change?  For users that are very used to the existing process, what value does it offer for them? 

Given that this change is due to be rolled out on June 18th we would appreciate if you can confirm if this is optional or not asap.

Thanks!

31 replies

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the update. 

Can you please confirm if the change to add custom types on the first tab will be available before this change is made mandatory?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Thought Industries Where is bulk import accounted for in the wizard or am I missing something for events?

Userlevel 2

Hi @jeananne !

We haven't received a release date yet, but we'll be sure to keep you updated as soon as we have more information.

Best,

Community Team

Userlevel 2

Hi @charles.zimmerman!

If you navigate to Events > All Events, in the upper right corner of the page, click the plus sign icon. Under the option to Add Event, you will see the option to Bulk Import. 

We moved that decision up in the click path so that the creation flow is more focused.

Screenshot for the visual:

Best,

Community Team

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Community Team @Thought Industries If it’s not too late, I would like to propose a win win solution.  In most every instance where I am brought to a Wizard, I am prompted somewhere on the page to “Skip Wizard”.  As is evidence in all of the feedback, adults don’t want training wheels for daily operations that may be repeated 12 consecutive times for 12 micro courses on a given day.  You are only a beginner for a short period of time and this change is beginner centric, while adding beginner decisions.  

For my company the introduction of templates only adds new decisions that we can’t control.  “Do I use a template, a custom content type or both?  I know, I will just make my own template”.  We now have provided guidance that our company does not use templates and you are not to create new ones.  So, for our workflow, this is adding decisions, workarounds, adding steps, and reducing our locus of quality control.  Thanks for the considerations.

Strongly agree with Jeananne and Charles’s points above - this wizard is fine for brand new users but we need to have a route to allow our experienced users to skip it.