How do you use tags?

• 22 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi TI Community,

My organization would like to better organize our current content using tags. We are using TI for internal training (compliance training, role-specific training, and onboarding) and use content types like courses, articles, SCORM, VILT, and ILTs. We’d love to hear your examples/ideas since we are fairly new to utilizing TI and its tagging feature.

What tagging strategy does your company/organization use? Do you prefer to organize it by departments/teams? Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Andy

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Our tags are primarily used to provision content to users. So, we tag it with the product first, and then perhaps by group or sublicense, and then we have a catalog tag that we use for content we want to show in the catalog. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

We overthought this big time when we first started. I agree with @LisaRollins  - it’s all about provisioning to panoramas.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@andy_pecora  We use tags to provision content to Panorama and it’s named after the Pano.

We use tags for specific catalog queries so the name of the tag is the name of the page

We use tags for groups of topics so “compliance training, role-specific training, and onboarding” sound like programs and the names of tags

So far you can see that a content item may have now three tags just in what I named and all for a different purpose

Hope this helps

We are currently going through a re-design and will be redoing all our tags. We plan to use quite a few custom catalogs using search queries so only certain tagged content shows up in the catalog. In addition, we are putting all our internal staff in a new panorama so we will have to provision things to that panorama with new tags. 

Speaking of….has anyone developed any kind of spreadsheet to track their tagging structure? I’d love to see what others are using to stay organized.

Thanks!

Andy

Userlevel 3

I’ve been turning this doc from GetGuru over in my head for a few days for a project that is unrelated to content tagging, but still might help you visualize one way to organize tags.

(Guru is one of our vendors.)

Userlevel 1

Now that we’ve been in TI for a year and know more, we are in the midst of revamping our Tags as well. We originally used Tags for admins to search for content in the content area, but with the addition of Folders in the content area it allows us to reduce the # of tags we have. Remembering why we created a tag, or how one is used, is sometimes difficult, so we use a spreadsheet tracker to help us remember.