Solved

Reverse Question Upload Order in Question Library

• 24 October 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2

Hey everyone! I have submitted a help ticket on this issue and received feedback that this is now the intended function of the question library. However, I’m wondering if this new intended function has caused any difficulty for y’all. We believe this change happened in late Spring of this year as we built all of our quizzes in Fall of last year and early this year, so we have not built as many quizzes since to notice, but now it’s starting to become an issue in terms of QA-ing questions.

Here’s the actual issue I’m referring to:

In the question library, I noticed that the questions were being added in the reverse order, where newly added questions appear at the top rather than being added to the bottom in the category. This means that what was originally supposed to be question #1 will appear as the last question when added to the library and/or an assessment page. Prior to May of this year, when a question was added, it would remain at the top of the list and any subsequent questions would appear below it.

This is also the same for gift imports as I looked back at an Office Hours video discussing the question library, and they important questions A, B, & C, which uploaded in that order. However, now those questions upload in a random order of C, A, & B when imported into a QL category. Here is the OH video: https://academy.thoughtindustries.com/learn/video/how-to-use-question-libraries-and-question-pools

And here is a screenshot of the reverse order of uploads into the question library (gift file is also attached):

Is anyone else having issues with this?

Our product development team reviews these quizzes before they are added to actual courses, so it’s been difficult to review quizzes as we have to cross-reference in a different order. We also have learners who may inform us about an issue with a specific question number, but now that specific question number is not what’s reflected in our separate quiz question documentation.

icon

Best answer by grace.filkins 25 October 2023, 18:16

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

@charles.zimmerman @JulieC @RKBrodeur @Alexis McLaughlin @grace.filkins 

tagging a few people (who I see in Office Hours all the time!) that I’m hoping can give us some insight - this has definitely thrown our team for a loop and wondering if anyone else sees this as a problem with their quiz building?

Thank you!

--Julie

Userlevel 2

I’m tagging @RebeccaAdams since she generally inputs all of our quiz questions. I can see where cross-referencing documented questions with what’s in the system could get confusing.

We tend to randomize our questions when they are deployed, so if a learner finds an issue with a question, they need to refer to the whole question and not just a number.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@juliefiretech I don’t personally care for the Question Pools or Libraries, and I have never uploaded questions via .gift file.  I am tagging @acottle who uses these features, and she can chime in if she likes.  I have just always preferred to manually enter my questions from a copy/paste word document master.  Call me low tech but I find it all bit clunky, cumbersome, and without a predictable result. @madelinefiretech It is interesting that you have a course for questions.  That’s interesting and I wouldn’t mind learning more on that.  Should we move this to a Product Enhancement, because nothing is going to change it in a conversation?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I feel like this is another reason not to use the .gift file. We have not had the experience of adding questions to the pool after our initial build so I have not noticed this yet. But this is goof to know so we are aware of it happening. It seems we should be able to arrange the question pools so when we use the pool questions they are in the order we requested them in. 

Userlevel 2

Thank you @RKBrodeur  @grace.filkins and @charles.zimmerman for your responses!

Here are a few of my responses:

• We don’t actually use .gift files when uploading questions to the QL, but that’s a great point @grace.filkins as I didn’t realize this would be an issue if we changed our current set up to fit this import option. I had to go this route to relate it back to the Office Hours video to display that there was a change, and the gift import was the only time they showed multiple questions being added to the QL. @charles.zimmerman we actually do exactly what y’all do for question uploads. We copy and paste our questions from a Word doc, which we use to send to our SMEs for review and for Approvals. But this furthers the need for the ability to download/print QL/Quiz questions, but they’ll be in the reverse order.
  • Here is a link to a screen recording video to see exactly what we do and how we know it changed, which I provided to our CSM: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Feyk6BZC8La0QS2ARMNGwVa3J5hlG9gh/view?usp=sharing
  • @RKBrodeur I figured most people would use the assessment question randomizing option, but I’d love to hear feedback from @RebeccaAdams on her QA process after adding the questions to the QL
  • @charles.zimmerman to answer your question on the QL course. We were told to access the QL, it has to be embedded in it’s own QL course, and there has to be one page designated for the “add questions here.” Over the year, some of our product team has found it easier to QA questions by creating a quiz page within the QL course and assigning those questions to that page, which is why you see the long list of quiz pages within the course. Each of our QL categories contains the questions of a specific lesson quiz. I hope that answers your question, but lmk if you need further clarification/reasoning!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@acottle and @KyleITI May be interested in this thread.  Thanks all!

Userlevel 1
Badge

@madelinefiretech I watched your video and see what you mean is happening with the ordering of questions. 

My thoughts, @Thought Industries should allow you to rearrange questions in the pool or allow you sort options in the pool so you can sort them by newest to oldest and put them in as you please. I also think TI will come back and say that you have the drag and drop your questions in the order you wish to have them in. 

Badge +1

I have found the easiest method for review (by anyone who is not in the TI system frequently) to be publishing the assessment and having them take it with the answer key in front of them. Not sure why the Library has the last-to-first issue, to counteract it you could add the questions one at a time. The quiz/test pages add new questions to the bottom of the list…