SCORM & TI?

• 18 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello!

I was hoping to connect with someone who has a fully integrated SCORM learning program with TI. Some things I am hoping to learn:

1. What content authoring tool do you use and why? 
  2. Do you use standalone SCORM content or do you embed a SCORM page type within a native TI course?
  3. How is reporting? (more challenging?  - if so how/why?)
  4. If you already had a fully functioning learning program up and running in TI (all natively designed) would you make the transition to SCORM content? Or leave it alone?
  5. Anything else I should be aware of?

If it’s easier to hop on a quick call to discuss - I’d love to set that up if preferred! 

Thanks!

Kristin

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

We have just started adding some SCORM content created in Adobe Captivate to some of our courses. I’d love to hear from anyone else doing this on a larger scale too. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@kristinmize @LisaRollins 

1. What content authoring tool do you use and why?  WE USE WHAT OUR VENDORS ARE USING>  WE DON”T AUTHOR IN ANYTHING BUT NATIVE TI
  2. Do you use standalone SCORM content or do you embed a SCORM page type within a native TI course?  IT DEPENDS>SOMETIMES THE AUTHOR OF THE COURSE MADE THE WINDOW OF THE PLAYER TOO BIG TO FIT SO WE OPT ON EMBED BUT OPEN IN FULL SCREEN MODE AUTO>YOU HAVE TO TEST WITH EACH VENDOR OR ESTABLISH A STANDARD> IF I HAD A CHOICE IT WOULD BE EMBEDED ON THE PAGE
  3. How is reporting? (more challenging?  - if so how/why?)  NOT MORE CHALLENGING JUST LESS DATA> SCORM DOES NOT SEND OVER AS MUCH DATA AS NATIVE TI CONTENT AND IT DEPENDS ON WHAT VERSION OF SCORM YOU USE
  4. If you already had a fully functioning learning program up and running in TI (all natively designed) would you make the transition to SCORM content? Or leave it alone? I WOULD NEVER MOVE TO SCORM IF I HAVE A CHOICE BECAUSE IT’S TOO EASY FOR ME TO UPDATE CONTENT IN TI VS HAVING TO TRACK DOWN THE ONLY PERSON WITH A STORYLINE LICENECE, HAVE THEM UPDATE, AND UPLOAD A NEW VERSION>PLUS FROM A USERS POINT OF VIEW> MY ONLY OPTION IS TO RETAKE AN ENTIRE COURSE TO GET TO ONE PAGE CHANGE
  5. Anything else I should be aware of?  DON”T USE AICC FORMAT IN THE SCORM COURSE, IT MAY APPEAR TO WORK BUT DOES NOT.
Userlevel 5
Badge

I’ll add a little bit here too since I have been playing with this again this week..Captivate recommends using “responsive” projects and I have found them to be cumbersome in TI. They always resize down when embedded or you have to open them in full-screen separately, which isn’t a great experience to me. 

I think we’ll end up using embedded non-responsive content in courses as SCORM pages rather than setting up a standalone SCORM piece of content. 

So, we’ll have a mix of TI authored pages with activities and content from Captivate woven in. As mentioned in the other comment, updating SCORM is a little harder than updating text or a graphic in a TI page. So, for our product content that changes frequently, we will not use any authoring tools other than Camtasia for video.