Session Titles different than Catalog Settings Title

• 3 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

Hey everyone! I’d love to discuss the pros and cons of using content Session Titles with back-end-facing naming conventions compared to using content Catalog Setting Titles with customer-facing naming conventions.

For example, we want to include the course number (SKU) in the Session Title to differentiate like-named courses. So for a course titled Troubleshooting with the SKU FAS 360 2022, the Session Title would be “Troubleshooting (FAS 360 2022)” and the Catalog Settings Title would be “Troubleshooting”. See screenshot below:

This change will help us as we have other courses with the name Troubleshooting but with different SKUs as some are intermediate-level and some are advanced. So when making registration codes and learning paths, the different course names will be easier to identify in the course list from the search.

However, we have noticed, that despite the Session Title being back-end facing, it is what appears on our certificates as we include the “Content Title” as a field to appear on certificates. 

Does anyone have any experience using different Session Title and Catalog Settings Titles? Have you noticed any other issues we should be aware of before we change all 900 of our courses to fix this?

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Do you have the filed “Course Name” ? I’ve run into the same issue you’re talking about and am looking through my documentation for our admins. If you have that, try it and see if it works for you. If not, you can add a custom field at the course level and pull that into certificates. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Alexis McLaughlin - Where are you referring to? On a course, there is the field called “Title” (under Catalog Settings) or “Session Title”. I only see “Course Title” as an option for certificate fields & we have found that pulls in the session title.

Yes, we definitely could use a course custom field for the certificates, but that wouldn’t help for finding courses in the big lists under registration & redemption codes or adding content to a learner account.

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge

@juliefiretech i was referring to the filed in the certificate settings. The “course title” in the certificate fields pulls in the catalog name. 

Looking at your screen shot above, your catalog name has more in it than “troubleshooting”. When you look at the certificate are you getting what is in the catalog title spot or the session title. Looks like the only difference between the two is the FAS ###.

Userlevel 2
Badge

We ran into the same issue because we needed the session dates in the title to know what we are giving access to on the back end.

We ended up using a custom content field for course title that we can pull from to put on the certificate.

For better display on the certificate, we also use session custom content fields for session dates and instructor.