Solved

How are you using video in your learning?

Userlevel 1

How do you use video in your learning? Micro-learning?

icon

Best answer by michelew 16 May 2022, 22:22

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 1

@Janelle, we are using videos of about 2-3 minutes each where a demonstration of a specific task is helpful. I have a course in the new micro-learning format coming out soon. Our customers are really appreciative of videos for a few different reasons (they like them to be short, prefer them to reading).

Userlevel 2

@Janelle - We use videos in our learning quite a bit - from longer format courses, to microlearning content. The newest way we’ve leveraged videos (before the micro-course type was available) was by placing the videos into an Article template using a little html to embed directly onto the page. This gave us the option to make some of our videos available for public access. 

Userlevel 1

by placing the videos into an Article template using a little html to embed directly onto the page. This gave us the option to make some of our videos available for public access. 

@LaceyS  - did you simply use the Wistia link for this, or do you use another video management platform?

Userlevel 2

We’ve been using\video in several different ways:

• As a replacement for an instructor led session (these are longer - 10 min - 45 min). Each video covers a topic/lesson and those pages are part of a lesson or module within a course
  • Short videos that showcase new features in our product. We’re excited about the micro learning content type as it lends itself nicely to these “stand-alone” videos
  • We bring software demos (MP4s edited in Camtasia) into Storyline and build interactive SCORM lessons / simulations
  • 45 min - 1 hr long pre-recorded webinars on various industry and product topics

Since we are newer to Thought Industries, we’re exploring how our existing content can be leveraged differently in TI. There’s more flexibility than just having a page with an embedded MP4 on it. That’s really all we could do in our previous system with some SCORM capability.

Some of our video content is only available to our employees, some is open to anyone with TI user credentials, and other content is available for purchase (via invoice as we cannot process credit cards).

Video is really important for virtual learning.  I see trends toward shorter video, inspired by the popularity of apps like TicTok and Reels.  Has anybody seen any research or numbers that show that

• shorter video for learning is in any way preferred? 
  • equally educational?
  • we should be chopping up learning content so that it fits in smaller video?
Userlevel 1
Badge

We use video like an Italian chef uses tomatoes - all of the freakin’ time. :-)

If you’re not using video in your coursework, you’re missing a lot of opportunity for engagement.

We produce the content through Camtasia and Descript, sometimes with help from Zoom to capture content from remote sources. Then, we upload to our Cloudinary DAM and use our video player through an IFrame.

Here is a non-gated example from one of our video podcasts: https://training.cloudinary.com/learn/article/devjams-episode-9-developing-a-netlify-build-plugin-to-optimize-web-media-with-cloudinary

Userlevel 2

@JulieC  - We have done Vimeo and YouTube. I have not embedded straight from Wistia (only because we use YouTube and Vimeo for our public-facing content), but I believe the embed would work the same way.  If memory serves, Wistia provides embeddable html as well. 

Userlevel 1

We use video like an Italian chef uses tomatoes - all of the freakin’ time. :-)

HA!

Here is a non-gated example from one of our video podcasts: https://training.cloudinary.com/learn/article/devjams-episode-9-developing-a-netlify-build-plugin-to-optimize-web-media-with-cloudinary

Thank you for sharing this example!

We currently wrap our videos in a SCORM only because it’s difficult to track video usage via Thought Industries way of deciding when something is considered done (the time a student views a course page).

I’d prefer to have the video directly within a course, section, lesson, page because I think it would provide a better overall look and student user experience.

If anyone has suggestions for how you might have worked around needing to track when I user truly completes seeing videos versus the TI page timer, I’d love to hear about them. Thank you.

~ Joshua

Userlevel 4
Badge

We use short 2-3 minute videos to introduce new ideas in our longer courses. We’ll also use them to demonstrate ideas or assignments that learners are supposed to be working on. We will have discussion pages set up where we ask learners to post videos of them practicing these skills and they do a great job interacting there 

Userlevel 1

We currently wrap our videos in a SCORM only because it’s difficult to track video usage via Thought Industries way of deciding when something is considered done (the time a student views a course page).

I’d prefer to have the video directly within a course, section, lesson, page because I think it would provide a better overall look and student user experience.

If anyone has suggestions for how you might have worked around needing to track when I user truly completes seeing videos versus the TI page timer, I’d love to hear about them. Thank you.

~ Joshua

Just an idea - why do you need to know they watched the whole video? If there’s a learning objective you want to make sure they have learned, what about asking a question after instead?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

A lot of our original content was our trainer sharing their screen and annotating while talking to the camera. Now we still have that as well as demonstrations of processes.