Question

How to Mark Learners as Attended in ILTs?

• 9 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

How is everyone marking learners as attended for ILTs?

The only way I’m seeing is to manually select all attendees and change to attended for each meeting. This is a really tedious process for us when we have 30+ attendees for 3 meetings and we can’t doublecheck our work because there is an hour delay on all bulk functions? 

I’ve tried the bulk import but it just marks people as completed and doesn’t grant certificates or CEUs.

Has anyone found a better way to do this?

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

We are in the process of working through this ourselves as we migrate part of our business from an older LMS. It looks like we’re going to use the BI function, but I'm curious what you mean that it doesn’t give certificates or CEUs. If you set these up to award on completion, is that not happening when you mark complete? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

That’s interesting! We’ve been looking at using the BI connector but were under the impression that it can only send information out from Thought Industries and couldn’t make actions inside of TI like marking people as complete.

Unfortunately, no. Marking learners as complete does not grant certificates or CEUs whether you do it manually or you do it through bulk actions. I’ve been working with support to make sure that we aren’t doing anything wrong but they are adamant that it is intended functionality. I think it has something to do with the completion criteria being the trigger for granting certificates and CEUs instead of the status change. I’ve even tried getting rid of completion criteria completely as a possible solution but it still doesn’t grant anything.

The message from support is that “You can either mark the attendance using the available Roster page or mark the learner's status as Complete using the Bulk Import method, then generate the certificates and gamification awards manually in the learners' profile.”

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@mgkaulen @Alexis McLaughlin It is the completion criteria that issues a cert and not the attendance.  You actually don’t need to mark attendance if you don’t use the meetings as completion criteria.  You do have to have some trigger to make the event complete so consider adding a quiz or exam that is auto graded and you are done.  Again, no need to mark the roster at all if you are not using meeting attendance as a completion criteria.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@charles.zimmerman That makes sense. Our current use case of TI for in-person live events is mostly for reminder emails, optional resources, and tracking certificates on the transcript. This means that people who attend our In-person live events, don’t interact with TI during the event.

Do you know of an easy way to grant certificates in bulk as an admin (and maybe there is a way to do this through a quiz that I am not seeing) that doesn’t require an extra step for the learner to make sure they get credit? Our instructors aren’t the biggest fan of being an IT support person as everyone in the workshop tries to log in on their phone/event at the event.

Thank you for your help, I’ll keep looking into the auto graded quiz and exam solution!

Userlevel 4
Badge

@charles.zimmerman we need to mark attendance and completion for our accreditations and this is a point of struggle for us at the moment. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@mgkaulen Bulk grant of certificates I believe is on the roadmap but your CSM will know better.

@Alexis McLaughlin Sorry to sound ignorant but what benefit do you get from updating the roster?  Our auditors only care that they “completed” the content however we get to completion.